About The Artist
The Set List
‘Call Me Maybe’ is about ‘Are you gonna give me your number? Is this gonna work out? Or am I going to have to go home with my tail between my legs?!’
Walmart Soundcheck catches up with Carly Rae Jepsen for an exclusive four-song set – live from L.A. Plus, the Canadian phenomenon sits down with us for a candid chat about her new pop record, performing with Justin Bieber, and what she thinks about the fan frenzy behind ‘Call Me Maybe.’ Check out our set with Carly Rae Jepsen - and go pick up a copy of ‘Kiss’ online and in Walmart stores nationwide!
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On Her New Record:
“It’s about love. It’s about all the complications that go along with that. For me, love is an endless pool of inspiration that you could just pull from non-stop. I could write you six albums about love and I wouldn’t be done!”
On Recording With Justin Bieber:
“That was a bit of a dream. He played me this particular song and asked if I’d be interested in singing on it. I was like, ‘OK, Yes please!’ I didn’t know he meant right there and then. Literally, five minutes later, I was thrown into the vocal booth. No pressure or anything!”
On Embracing Pop:
“At the end of the day it’s pop music. It’s supposed to make you feel good, and you’re supposed to just enjoy it.”
“Music surrounded my whole life from being a baby on. I do remember the first time I ever went on stage. There was a crowd of about 400 people. I remember being terrified and thrilled at the same time, and I knew from that moment on that this is what I wanted to spend my life doing.”
On Her Biggest Project Yet:
“[‘Kiss’] has been the project of my life. These are song ideas that I had when I was 17 ‘til now.”
• She’s originally from British Columbia, Canada. Carly Rae Jepsen found fame during the the fifth season of ‘Canadian Idol’ when she finished in third place. She released her debut album, ‘Tug of War,’ in 2008.
• Justin Bieber introduced her to American audiences. The singer became an "overnight sensation" when 'The Bieb' began tweeting about ‘Call Me Maybe.’ “I immediately fell in love with the song,” Bieber said. “I thought it was a smash.”
• She’s since found worldwide fame with ‘Call Me Maybe.’ The smash hit single of 2012 has sold more than 9.1 million singles worldwide, hit Number One in more than 37 countries, and spent a record-breaking nine weeks at Number One on the Hot 100 chart.
• She’s hitting the road with Justin Bieber. This fall, Carly Rae hits the road as a “very special guest” of Bieber's 2012 North American tour.
• Her new album is called ‘Kiss.’ Carly Rae wrote or co-wrote every song on the album. Songwriters and producers include Max Martin, Dallas Austin, and LMFAO’s Redfoo.
• ‘Kiss’ is in stores now! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.
The new single from ‘Kiss’ holds a special place in the singer's heart. Explains Carly Rae: “’This Kiss’ is actually my favorite track on the entire album. It’s a collaboration between (LMFAO singer) Redfoo and Matthew Koma. It’s a song all about being tempted by another…”
Your Heart Is A Muscle
‘Your Heart Is A Muscle’ finds Carly Rae flexing on the power of love, a recurring theme on ‘Kiss.’ Explains the singer: "['Kiss'] is about love. It’s about all the complications that go along with that. For me, love is an endless pool of inspiration that you could just pull from non-stop. I could write you six albums about love and I wouldn’t be done!”
Guitar String / Wedding Ring
Co-written with Josh Ramsey and Tavish Crowe, ‘Guitar String / Wedding Ring’ weaves a clever connection between music and marriage. Sings Carly Rae: “If you cut a piece of guitar string / I would wear it like it’s a wedding ring.”
Call Me Maybe
“It’s been quite something to see the different variations of ‘Call Me Maybe.’ It really makes my day, and I get sent it from all my friends. It doesn’t get old! Actually, it’s a great way of rejuvenating the song for me, to see that someone in Germany decided to do a little dance-off in their living room – it’s very flattering!”