About The Artist
The Set List
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On Starting Out:
“Practice your craft as much as you can. It takes so much work and strength to be in this business. You have to keep yourself ahead of the game. If you’re a guitar player, practice guitar. If you’re a singer, take vocal lessons.”
On Writing On The Beach:
“Writing is a fun thing, a hobby. I like to sing, I like to play guitar, I like to go to the beach, and I like to write songs. When I can combine that with my friends in Hawaii, it’s like the perfect setting!”
On Stage Fright:
“I want people to know that they’re not the only ones that have fears and insecurities. We always think that we’re the only one... I wanted to let people know that I’ve had a huge fear of stage fright. This whole business was scary for me at the beginning. I’m breaking through it, getting comfortable with it. I’m just having fun!”
“I’ve been listening to some new artists. I love Kings of Leon, Amy Winehouse, The Fray, Coldplay, and One Republic. I love all of them! By listening to these artists, I think it maybe brought a different style deep down inside of me.”
• She’s a Gemini. Colbie Marie Caillat was born May 28, 1985. She lives in Malibu, California.
• Most people pronounce her name the wrong way. It’s pronounced Kole-bee Cal-lay.
• She comes from music royalty. Colbie’s father, Ken Caillat co-produced one of the most famous records of all time: Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Rumours.’
• She’s an internet musical prodigy. Her MySpace music page has hosted more than 90 million plays.
• She’s not afraid of a challenge. The Malibu resident recently tried sky-diving for the first time. She says: “I was falling from the sky and just noticing that I didn't even have butterflies in my stomach. It was actually really relaxing. I wanna do it again -- with stunts!"
• Her new album, ‘Breakthrough’ is in stores now. Pick up a copy online and in Walmart stores nationwide.
As she takes to the stage wearing a beret and mini skirt, Colbie reflects confidence and maturity. ‘Fearless’ is the lyrical proof of Colbie’s growth. While a piano plays in the background, Colbie sings a stunning torch song about the bravery behind breaking up: “Go on and break my heart. There’s nothing you can do to me. I’m fearless...”
Armed with just her guitar, Colbie delivers an intimate acoustic rendition of her signature song, ‘Bubbly.’ Written by Colbie and band member Jason Reeves, ‘Bubbly’ is the quintessential California tune, an ode to sun, sea, and the simplicity of young, innocent love.
Fallin’ For You
The first single from ‘Breakthrough’ was written with accomplished songwriter Rick Nowels, who has also written with Madonna, Stevie Nicks, and Dido. Explains Colbie: “’Falling For You’ is about falling for a certain guy. I wrote it the night after I went out on this date with him. I guess I was on a giddy high the next day. This song just came out in five minutes!”
*Acoustic version available for All Access users ONLY.
‘Begin Again’ is the second track on ‘Breakthrough’ and was co-written with Jason Reeves and Kara DioGuardi on a songwriting sojourn to Hawaii. The song explores the complex ending of a relationship. Sings a reflective Colbie: “This is not the way it should end. It’s the way it should begin.”
‘Realize’ was one of the darker moments from Colbie’s debut album, ‘Coco.’ Co-written with Jason Reeves and Mikal Blue, the song describes a partnership with two different perspectives. Colbie sings: “Just realize what I just realized. Then we’d be perfect for each other…”
You Got Me
Colbie closes her set with a song (and a dance) that sounds unlike anything she’s ever done before. Co-written with John Shanks, ‘You Got Me’ is an upbeat tune about succumbing to love. Asks Colbie: “I just can’t get enough. How much do I need to fill me up?”