“I’m a soulful singer. I am who I am. Back to me.” You’ll find the real Fantasia Barrino on the singer’s forthcoming third studio record. The North Carolina songbird has emerged from a series of personal and professional struggles with ‘Back To Me,' an autobiographical tale of survival and soul. Check out our exclusive performance and interview with Fantasia - and go pick up a copy of ‘Back To Me’ online and in Walmart stores nationwide!
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On The Truth:
“There have been so many things going on in my world. Some good, some bad. Whenever I do an album I always like for it to be the truth, somewhat my testimony. People can relate to it more. At the end of the day everybody goes through things."
On Post Fame Burnout:
“I don’t think I had changed; I had just begun to do so much and take everybody’s advice. You know, if somebody puts out a hot song, everybody else feels like you should do that same type of sound because it’s selling! I had to sit back and realize, “Hey I’m a soulful singer. I am who I am. Back to me.”"
“You can fall down but you have to pick yourself up, brush yourself off and keep it moving. I always tell people that life is not perfect. If you don’t go through anything then how can you help somebody along the way? It doesn’t matter anymore. Stop talking about all this stuff that you’ve been through. Stop sitting on it and letting it keep you back. Learn how to fly again.”
On Her Third Studio Album:
“This time we tried something a little different. I think we have a monster on our hands.”
On Her Idols:
“Aretha Franklin is my idol. I’m a big, big Billie Holiday fan! Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Elton John. I got to perform for him and it was amazing! Rod Steward. Last but not least, Michael Jackson. I have to have a Michael Jackson album. If I can keep my daughter from stealing it - she steals my CDs!”
Did You Know?
• She’s an eight-time Grammy nominee. Fantasia Monique Barrino first found fame on American Idol. She’s about to release her third album, ‘Back To Me.'
• She’s a reality star. Fantasia recently starred as herself in the VH1 reality series, ‘Fantasia For Real.’
• She’s an author. In 2005 Fantasia wrote her debut memoir, ‘Life Is Not A Fairytale.’ She starred as herself in the Lifetime television movie based on the book.
• She has some talented friends. The singer’s new album features guest appearances by Cee-Lo Green, Ne-Yo, Jim Jonsin, Calude Kelly, Rico Love, and more!
• Her third album, ‘Back To Me’ is in stores now! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.