About The Artist
The Set List
“I wanted to think about what it means to make a modern soul album— knowing your heritage but also keeping it fresh and not feeling like you’re bound to the past.”
Soul singer-songwriter John Legend returns with his new album, ‘Love in the Future’, offering Soundcheck a glimpse of the creative process behind the ballads. In this exclusive interview, Legend explains why his music is made for those believe in love and how it may just be his best record yet. Pick up ‘Love in the Future’ online and in Walmart stores nationwide!
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On the album:
"The title for the album was inspired by a song I writing. (It’s about) the idea that beginning something new is beautiful and holds a lot of possibility. It’s for people who want to believe in love."
On mixing old & new:
“This album is sonically different than my previous albums. I think of it as a progression. People will hear some familiar vibes and some new ones too.”
On 'Made to Love' video:
"We wanted to create a video to visually simulate what love felt like. It’s one of my favorite videos I’ve ever done."
“I’ve grown up in this tradition of soul music and I’ve always been recognized as someone who carries that tradition forward, but I feel like it can be a trap if you get stuck in the past.”
On the core team:
“This was coming back to my original core team (Kanye West & Dave Tozer) and making what I think is my best album yet.”
• Legend began playing the piano at 4-years old and by 7 he was performing with his church choir.
• He was introduced to Lauren Hill and she hired him to play piano for her song ‘Everything is Everything’ from the album ‘The Miseducation of Lauren Hill’.
• His real name is John Roger Stephens; John Legend is his stage name.
• ‘Love in the Future’ is in stores now! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.
1. Love In The Future (Intro)
2. The Beginning...
3. Open Your Eyes
4. Made To Love
5. Who Do We Think We Are - Featuring Rick Ross
6. All Of Me
7. Hold On Longer
8. Save The Night
10. What If I Told You? (Interlude)
12. Wanna Be Loved
13. Angel (Interlude) - Featuring Stacy Barthe
14. You & I (Nobody In The World)
16. Caught Up