Katy Perry wows L.A. with an exclusive Soundcheck set featuring tunes from her Grammy-nominated album, ‘Teenage Dream.’ Plus, we hang ten with the California "gurl" and discuss fame, working with Snoop, and the message behind her important new single, ‘Firework.’ Check out our awesome set with Katy Perry - and go pick up a copy of ‘Teenage Dream’ online and in Walmart stores nationwide.
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On Her Teenage Dream:
“I wanted it to be more danceable, but I also didn’t want to have to sacrifice the sake of a storyline or the real purpose and soul of a great song just to make it more uptempo and fun. I think that I got the best of both worlds with a song like ‘Firework,’ because you know that you’re dancing with purpose. I’m not all serious, nor am I all goofball. I’m all kinds of different shades. I wanted all of my emotional peacock to be represented!”
“I’ve been writing since I was 13. I got my first guitar when I was 13. The missing tool for me to be able to write songs! I’m really always fighting for the best lyric and the best storyline, and making sure that what I am communicating is emotional on some level.”
“I’m away from home a lot of times and I really keep up with my close friends through Twitter. It’s so amazing because it’s so immediate. If I send something out right now, not only will it hit everywhere like L.A., it’ll hit across the world! I definitely use that kind of thing to my advantage, to show off my personality, to announce what I want to announce. I like to share with people. I like to remind them that I’m just like them.”
“You have to have talent. You have to be prepared, and you have to meet opportunity. I was carving my craft, I was always taking one foot in front of the other and moving forward. And never took no for an answer!”
On Her New Tour:
“I’m really excited for next year’s tour. I think it’s going to be very sweet and fun and cool!”
Did You Know?
• She’s a "California Gurl." Katy grew up in Santa Barbara, California. It’s also where she recorded a lot of her new record, ‘Teenage Dream.’
• She found fame with her 2008 album, ‘One Of The Boys.’ Katy topped the charts in more than 25 countries with the tunes: ‘I Kissed A Girl,’ ‘Hot N Cold,’ ‘Thinking Of You,’ and ‘Waking Up In Vegas.’ The album has sold five million copies.
• She’s already won countless international awards. Katy won Best New Act at the Europe Music Awards, Best Pop Video at the MTV Japan Awards and International Female Solo Artist at the Brit Awards. This year, Katy has been nominated for four Grammy awards.
• She’s a newly-married lady. Earlier this year, Katy married Brit comedian Russell Brand.
• Her new record, ‘Teenage Dream’ is in stores now! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.