“I wanted it to sound like me. I travel a lot. I’m inspired a lot.” Kelly Rowland steps out with an infectious new record that’s influenced by European clubs and urban beats. The former Destiny’s Child singer collaborated with French DJ David Guetta for her upcoming album, and she's giving Soundcheck an exclusive sneak peek. Check out our performance with Kelly Rowland - and go pick up a copy of her upcoming record online and in Walmart stores nationwide!
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
“I am definitely a people person. I want to reach out and touch you! I love that feeling. Being able to sing to one person and look at you in your eyes is the best feeling to me. That’s the best part about playing live."
On Kelly 3D:
“I just did the music video for ‘Rose Colored Glasses.’ We also shot it in 3D. It was really interesting to see it all come together. I’m using a lot of my hands because it looks like I’m grabbing you! That was a really fun video shoot. To just watch technology come into place and see how far we’ve come. I’m shooting videos in 3D, Mama!”
“I get inspiration from the fans. I watch what their emotions are. I watch what they’re feeling when a specific song comes on. It’s just a moment. You want that moment again, and you want to continue to recreate those moments.”
On Keeping It Real:
“I think it’s important to stay close to home. Urban music is what got me here."
On Flying Solo:
“It all rests on my shoulders. That’s a pressure, but not really. You’re growing up. There’s nothing wrong with change; there’s nothing wrong with growing up. The best part is that I have [Beyoncé and Michelle's] support. They’re extremely supportive. I played the record for them both, and they’ll tell me the truth if they like a song or they don’t! That’s the best thing.”
On Hearting Her Girlfriends:
"‘I Heart My Girlfriends’ came about through some of my friends back home in Texas. We would have our 'Girlfriends Night' where everybody would come over. It’s all about being inspired by each other. I need my girlfriends. I heart my girlfriends!”
Did You Know?
• She’s a Southern girl. Kelendria Trene Rowland was in Atlanta, Georgia and raised in Houston, Texas.
• She's a former member of one of the most successful groups ever. Kelly found fame as a singer in Destiny’s Child, alongside Beyoncé and Michelle Williams.
• She’s also an actress. Kelly has starred or made guest appearances in numerous television shows, including ‘Girlfriends,’ ‘Eve,’ and ‘The Hughleys.’ She recently co-hosted the Bravo reality series, ‘The Fashion Show.’
• She’s a five-time Grammy Award winner. Besides the three awards she took home with Destiny’s Child, Kelly also has a Grammy for her 2003 rap collaboration with Nelly (‘Dilemma’), and another for the remixed recording of ‘When Love Takes Over,’ with David Guetta.
• Her upcoming album features the hits 'When Love Takes Over' and 'Rose Colored Glasses.' Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.