About The Artist
The Set List
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On Her Operatic Past:
“I listened to opera when I was little. I listened to the radio and wanted to be the loudest one; my teachers would have a heart attack! It resonated with me. It drew attention and that’s what I wanted. I love classical music. It’s one of my favorite art forms.”
On Her Musical Mentors:
“I think my musical mentor is my mother. I just wanted to be like her. I thought she was the prettiest woman I’d ever seen. Her big afro and her voice, the way she commanded the audience. There was something about her. Even in rehearsals she would give 110 percent, like it was her last song.”
On Keeping It Real:
“My goal for ‘Pieces Of Me’ was to show a different side of myself. I think people are starting to know what I look like. They know I can sing but they have no clue about who I am intimately. I wanted people to see the softer side of Ledisi, and the fun side, and all these different versions of me. I think I’ve accomplished that.”
“Tina Turner is a big one because of her energy. I love Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle and Gladys Knight. I have so many heroes. All the people that are not here I loved. Nat King Cole is one of my favorites. Marvin Gaye.”
• Ledisi Anibade Young is a Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter. She was born in New Orleans and raised in Oakland, California.
• She’s an accomplished opera singer. The singer studied opera at U.C. Berkeley for four years and is a mezzo-soprano. Says Ledisi: “It drew attention and that’s what I wanted! I love classical music. It’s one of my favorite art forms.”
• Her last two albums were nominated for Grammy awards. Ledisi’s 2007 breakthrough hit, ‘Lost And Found,’ was nominated for two Grammy awards. Her last album, ‘Turn Me Loose,’ scored two more Grammys, and debuted at the top of the Billboard R&B charts.
• Her new record is her most intimate yet. ‘Pieces Of Me’ is the name of her fifth studio album and the record’s first single. Says Ledisi: “It describes me all the way: complex, sensual, beautiful. I just love that song!”
• ‘Pieces Of Me’ is in stores now! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.
Ledisi launches into her Walmart Soundcheck set with a winning track from her 2007 album, ‘Lost And Found.’ Nestled inside the intimate confines of 'Hemingway’s Lounge,’ the singer schools us on getting rich. Sings Ledisi: “Having money don’t mean a thing / Loving you is everything.”
Ledisi tells Walmart Soundcheck that she wants her new album to encourage female empowerment and confidence. Funky and uplifting, ‘Bravo’ is a catchy wake-up call to finding inner strength. Sings Ledisi: “All I really want is to see the whole world stand up tonight.”
‘Hate Me,' from the singer's new album, 'Pieces Of Me,' is a tune close to Ledisi's heart. Explains the singer: “There are a lot of messages for women on this record. I wish more women would say how beautiful they are and celebrate that, and be OK with it. I think we’re afraid to be a little arrogant. I think we need to be sometimes! We need to know that we’re loved in any form.”
Higher Than This
Winning us over with the second single from her Grammy nominated album, ‘Turn Me Loose,’ Ledisi shows off her lyrical prowess – and her incredible range. Sings Ledisi: “There’s a hero in you waitin’ to happen / Make the choice to take a chance and save yourself.”
Don’t put Ledisi's music in a box. The singer (who studied opera at UC Berkeley) infuses rock, jazz, opera, soul, and many more styles into her songs. Addressing the critics, ‘Knockin’’ shows Ledisi refusing to be pigeonholed: “You better move out of my way / I got a whole to live for / Don’t wanna hear the blues today.”
Pieces Of Me
How did the title track to Ledisi’s new record come about? Explains the singer: “It ended up being the first single and the last song written. It describes me all the way: complex, sensual, beautiful. I just love [this] song!”