“If you don’t take any risks, you really will never know. I gave up my house, relationships, jobs, everything!” That’s Idol winner Lee DeWyze recounting the sacrifices and struggles on the way to music stardom. Soundcheck heads to Los Angeles for a live set with the American Idol winner, and a candid chat about his accomplished new disc, ‘Live It Up.' Check out our exclusive performance with Lee DeWyze - and go pick up a copy of ‘Live It Up’ online and in Walmart stores nationwide!
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On His Major Label Debut:
“The label has been totally awesome. I was able to do what I wanted to do. I think that the people at the label knew that I knew who I was as an artist. It wasn’t like I needed to find my sound or find myself. I knew exactly what it is that I wanted to do. I wasn’t trying to figure this out or that out. It was just me being me!”
On Life After Idol:
“It’s a weird place to be. You come out of Idol and you’re part of this club. There’s only nine of us. Once the show’s over, that’s when you can make a name for yourself. I’ve been able to do that. It’s important for me that people know that I just love music. I don’t know what I’d be doing without it; it consumes me in every way.”
On Secret Guitar Playing:
“When I first started playing guitar and singing, it was something that I didn’t want people to know. It was for me. I was never trying to be like the coolest guy in the class with the guitar and picking up girls. I just liked it and I did it on my own.”
On Taking Risks:
“You really have to take risks. That’s my number one advice to anybody that wants to make music their life. If you don’t take any risks, you really will never know. I gave up everything. I gave up my house, relationships, jobs, everything. Don’t let what other people say get to you."
Did You Know?
• He found national fame on reality televison. Lee DeWyze is the winner of the ninth season of American Idol.
• He’s a Midwestern boy. Lee grew up with three siblings in Mount Prospect, Illinois. His mother worked at a local hospital and his father was a postal carrier.
• He’s been playing music his whole life. Before appearing on ‘Idol,’ Lee was an accomplished singer, guitarist, and songwriter on the Chicago club scene.
• He’s dropping his major label debut. Lee's highly-anticipated album, ‘Live It Up,’ features some top notch producers: Toby Gad (Alicia Keys, Fergie), John Shanks (Bon Jovi, Sheryl Crow), David Hodges (Kelly Clarkson, Weezer), and Norwegian production team, Espionage (Beyoncé, Train).
• ‘Live It Up’ is in stores now! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.