From rapper to rocker. Lil Wayne may be the reigning king of hip-hop, but Soundcheck recently discovered a rap star destined for a Rebirth. The Louisiana artist isn’t one to play it safe; he trades in gangsta for guitars on his latest disc, and we’ve got the whole story. Check out our illuminating interview with the renaissance man and go pick a copy of the new album online and in Walmart stores nationwide!
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On His Rock Rebirth:
“The fans should expect more electricity, more power, more everything... more me. It’s raw and uncut and different from what they’ve been used to, but it’s still me at the end of the day. That’s the most important part... I maintain that throughout my music; that’s what they want to hear. The influence of the new album is mainly rock. I guess I call it my rock!”
“I get my musical and creative inspiration from nowhere. I inspire myself. I don’t write any of my music; I go in there… and I am what you hear. I don’t have to write it because it is purely me. I go in there and ask, “Is the microphone on?”
On Internet Power:
“The internet has been very powerful and very helpful with my success; especially now. It gives people all kinds of access to you the artist and it makes the consumer feel like they know you. Even if it’s for a split second, a moment... or for a certain situation. [The audience] can tap into that and almost touch you. The internet is the most powerful thing in the world. If you have creativity and the internet down, you can be successful.”
On Prom Queen:
“I perform ‘Prom Queen’ every night. You see that people who were jumping up and shouting before are suddenly paying attention. That’s what I came for.”
Did You Know?
• He’s a Libra. Lil Wayne was born Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr. on September 27, 1982.
• He’s a Southern boy. Lil Wayne grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana.
• He’s been rapping since he was a kid. Lil Wayne wrote his first song at the tender age of eight, joined his first band (Hot Boys) at age 15, and released his first solo album, ‘The Block Is Hot’ at age 17.
• He’s got friends in big places. Lil Wayne has performed with a number of prolific hip hop acts, including T-Pain, Fat Joe, Wyclef Jean, Akon, and Kanye West.
• He’s a big rock fan. Lil Wayne’s latest album ‘Rebirth’ is a brave venture into brand new rock territory. Pick up a copy online and in Walmart stores nationwide!