Soundcheck meets Martina. We track down the talented country superstar at the onset of her Greatest Hits Collection release. 'Playlist: Martina McBride' isn't the first "best-of" for the 42 year-old, Kansas-born songbird; she actually has two collections under her star-studded belt (the first was released in 2001). Check out our intimate Nashville set with Martina and make sure to pick up a copy of her new album online and in Walmart stores nationwide.
- The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On Music Influences:
"When I was growing up, some of the singers that I listened to a lot were Linda Ronstadt, Pat Benatar, Heart, Journey, and Loretta Lynn. My dad was a huge Waylon Jennings fan so we heard a lot of that music. Basically, whatever was on country radio at the time because we played in a covers band so we had to learn the most popular country songs. Also, country music classics: Patsy Cline, Hank Snow, all the rich traditional country songs. I got a little older and then got more into rock 'n' roll…"
On Taking A Ride:
"I just put the finishing touches on my brand new album and still trying to come up with a name for it but I'm so excited to get new music out there for the fans. The first single is called 'Ride' and it's one of those songs that makes you feel good. It's got tons of good energy and it just talks about the fact that life is a roller coaster ride. We really never know what's going to happen; we really can't control it so you just have to hang on and ride along. I thought that was a really appropriate message for the world. Especially now."
On Award Recognition:
"Awards are just a pat on the back. They're just recognition of your work from the industry. The industry-voted awards are special I think because it's a little bit of validation; people are noticing what you're doing and are liking what you're doing. Then there are the fan-voted awards which - in my opinion – are even more special. They're voted on by the fans, the reason why we get to do what we do! I'm so grateful. I've been doing this for a long time, I've made a lot of records and I'm so grateful that they're still hanging in with me and still seem to be interested in what I do. They're on a journey with me. It means the world to me."
Did You Know?
• She's a Leo. Martina Maria Schiff was born July 29, 1966 in Medicine Lodge, Kansas.
• She's a mom. Martina has been married to John McBride since 1988. The couple have three daughters: Delaney, Emma and Ava Rose.
• She was exposed to country music at an early age. At the tender age of eight, Martina began performing onstage in her father's band, The Schiffters.
• She's a member of the Grand Ole Opry. Martina was inducted into the prestigious Opry as its 72nd regular member in 1995. Country legend Loretta Lynn introduced Martina.
• Her new album: 'Playlist: Martina McBride' is a compilation album that features 14 previously released tracks, and three unreleased songs.