“I started thinking about the concept of a kaleidoscope heart. How we’re all very fragmented…” That’s singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles describing her latest effort, the hauntingly beautiful, ‘Kaleidoscope Heart.’ It’s been two years since Sara last played for Soundcheck, and she's become a bolder and more powerful performer. (Just listen to the new single, ‘King Of Anything,’ a tongue-in-cheek tune to a big-headed boyfriend.) Check out our exclusive performance and interview with Sara Bareilles - and go pick up a copy of ‘Kaleidoscope Heart’ online and in Walmart stores nationwide!
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On Writer’s Block:
“It was tough; it was a little bit scary. Lots of artists can commisserate that you’re always worried that you’ve already written your best work. What else do you have to say? I had to get to a place where I was at peace with the idea that I wasn’t comparing my last record to this record. I am who I am right now. This is a snapshot of where I’m at.”
On Producer Neal Avron:
“He’s one of the most intelligent people I’ve ever met. He’s kind of like a buddha; he has this very wise sense about things. The best gift that he gave me was the sense that whatever the vision was, he had my back. We had a really natural synergy from the very beginning. He’s an incredible musician. It was nice to have a counterpart that would really help me grow. I felt like he was teaching me every day.”
On Making Music:
“I can’t imagine doing anything else. It’s always been the only thing in my life that felt like a hundred percent me. [Music] is still my most sacred, precious relationship. I tend to be very shortsighted sometimes. I was very happy being a waitress and moonlighting as a singer/songwriter. It turned a corner at some point, and I actually wasn’t broke all the time. I got to quit my waitressing job. I remember that day, feeling like I made it! Like I’ve arrived! I’m not a waitress anymore. People can get their own hamburgers today!”
“I’ve been really inspired by some female musicians. I recently met and hung with Tegan & Sara. I find them to be absolutely, infinitely inspiring. They’re so smart and articulate and real visionaries, and they know what they want. They’re great instrumentalists as well as great songwriters. I get inspired by women who are in this for the long haul. I like to see women who have a perspective and who have something to say. Who aren’t puppets for the “thing” behind them, the monster under the bed!”
Did You Know?
• She’s a California girl. Sara Beth Bareilles was born December 7, 1979 in Eureka, California.
• She started out singing in bars. After graduating from UCLA, Sara hit up L.A. night clubs and amassed a healthy following of fans. The exposure led to a recording contract.
• She’s already sold a million records. Her debut album, ‘Little Voice’ has sold over one million copies worldwide.
• She’s earned love from the music industry. ‘Little Voice’ received two Grammy nominations for the triple platinum-selling hit single, ‘Love Song.’
• Her new album, ‘Kaleidoscope Heart’ will be in stores September 7th! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.