About The Artist
The Set List
-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck
On Making Universal Music:
“I want to make music that can serve as a soundtrack for so many different people’s lives, and I think that’s what this album does. It goes to another place of love and life and heartbreak and happiness."
On His Music Evolution:
“Every album has been about evolving, adding to my musicality, adding to my production value. I think my voice has gotten a little stronger.”
On The Last Two Years:
“Within two years I saw a lot of the world that I’d never seen before. I met a lof my fans I never knew I had. I'm realizing the impact I have on people’s lives.”
On Surviving Pressure:
“Of course you want to do better than you’ve ever done before. You want to get a higher chart position that you had last time, you want to put more seats in a venue, you want to perform to more people. I set goals for myself. I really don’t allow other people’s perception of what success is determine what my thought process is towards making music or the way I live my life. But I do put pressure on myself to be better than I was before.”
• Trey Songz (real name: Tremaine “Trey” Neverson) is a Grammy-nominated R&B singer/songwriter, rapper, producer and actor.
• He’s a two-time Grammy-nominated artist. Trey’s third studio album ‘Ready’ earned the artist a Grammy Award nomination for Best Contemporary R&B Album. His 2008 song 'Can't Help But Wait' earned a Grammy nomination for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance.
• He's a philanthropist. Trey’s passion project is called ‘Angels With Heart Foundation.’ Founded in 2010 through his fan club, ‘Angels With Heart’ encourages people to give back and have a “positive impact in their neighborhood through community service, supporting local charities and random acts of kindness.”
• His new album is called ‘Chapter V.’ Trey’s fifth studio album celebrates his musical evolution. The record features the hit singles ‘2 Reasons (featuring T.I.), ‘Heart Attack,' and ‘Simply Amazing.’
• Kelly Rowland stars in his new video. The former Destiny’s Child singer makes a cameo in the buzzed-about video for the album’s first single, ‘Heart Attack.’ Says Trey: “She looks amazing in the video! I think she helped the video to become the reality that it seems to be.”
• ‘Chapter V’ is in stores now! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.
“It’s just a record about that beautiful love that everybody dreams about. That love that if you had you wanna bottle it up! That moment that you felt all these emotions. It’s just simply amazing.”
“’Dive In’ is a record that I’m very proud of songwriting-wise and R&B-wise. It has a strong bass line, amazing chords and very beautiful music. Without the words or my voice, or any song on top of it, I would [still] love to listen to this record.”
2 Reasons (featuring T.I.)
The second single from ‘Chapter V’ teams Trey up with Atlanta rapper T.I., and it's a hard-banging club banger inspired by the night life . Explains Trey: “It’s a very fun record; it’s reminiscent of a club record that’s anthem-ish.”
“It’s a record that speaks on the mini emotions of love. The point when loving someone is not easy anymore, when it’s not the beginning of the relationship. When you’ve had your ups, you’ve had your downs, and now you’re at a point when you’re trying to figure out if you’re going to make it. That’s a hurt feeling. This song is about not wanting to give that up. I’ve definitely felt that before.”
Can’t Be Friends
This 2010 hit (from the album ‘Passion, Pain & Pleasure’) chronicles the fallout from a bad breakup. Co-written by the singer with Mario Winans, 'Can't Be Friends' finds Trey getting introspective about what might have been: “I wish we never did it / And I wish we never loved it."
The Virginia singer’s first top ten hit also scored him two nominations at the 2010 BET Awards. With tongue planted firmly in cheek, Trey Songz ends his Walmart Soundcheck set by taking us into the club: “Pocket full of money / Club don't jump until I walk inside the doorway.”